I haven’t updated anything since the Fourth of July holiday.  This is getting to be typical behavior now that Facebook is so easy to use from my phone.  And twitter.  But I must keep this up – it’s at least readable later.

After the fourth, things got hot.  There was a period in there where the temperatures soared above 100 (up to 114 at times) for many days.  We stayed inside for the most part where I could mess about in the garage now that it is air conditioned.

I also decided to finally tackle a nagging home improvement project: the popcorn on the ceilings.  People hate that stuff nowadays which is unfortunate since it is so common.  But since we’re trying to complete the kitchen, it made sense to do the ceiling first and work my way down to the flooring.  I took down the old fluorescent fixture and scraped the popcorn off the ceiling.  That was a huge effort and a huge mess but not complicated.  Only then did I order an asbestos test kit and have the stuff analyzed.  Luckily, my house is not one of those that used the asbestos popcorn so I’m good.

I tried valiantly to redo the surface of the ceiling to make it smooth but that sort of thing is a skill that is acquired only after much practice and I never really got it perfect although it looked pretty good.  To complete things (and hide the minor imperfections) I bought some spray-on stuff that you knock down with a trowel.  It gave the surface enough of a random texture to avoid calling attention to the imperfections but not the dust-catching monstrosity of popcorn.  It looks pretty good.

We also decided to replace all the lighting and so bought a bunch of recessed cans which I mounted in the ceiling.  They went in easily but wiring them up was a huge job which was a bad idea to schedule in the hottest part of the summer since it involved getting up into the attic.  Paul came over to help and he ended up doing most of the work since he works outside every day and was more used to the heat.  We wired up the kitchen half of the room and left the dining room half for later in the fall.  So the kitchen now has a new ceiling surface and new lighting.  I also ordered some LED-based lights for under the cabinets.

Next: new counter tops followed by new flooring.

But that will have to wait for awhile to keep the costs spread out.

In the meantime, I also scraped the ceiling of the laundry room which is tiny; barely a closet really.  I managed to refloat that surface with joint compound very well and it looks actually like a real plasterer did it.  It would pass for smooth although I will lightly texture it like the kitchen just to keep things consistent.
I guess I’ll just keep going with this until the whole house is done.  Gonna take a long time.

Advertisements