The guy I bought my orrery pattern from suggested that the I cut out each drawing and stick it onto the wood.

Normally one would turn to the old standby 3M Type-77 spray adhesive. I always have a can of that around. But when you use it, it’s hard to peel the pattern off. I’ve ended up sanding them off although it just occurred to me that I could try a solvent.

In this case I decided to find a can of that stuff that is like the back of a Post-It note. In other words it sticks but is easily peeled off. On those occasions when I wasn’t using the CNC machine to cut my parts, I used this.

While it did perform as advertised I found that by the time I was nearly done cutting, the pattern was lifting up on its own more than I would have liked. So maybe it’s not the best idea after all.

It’s pretty cool though. I’ll stick with it for now since sanding is the very devil to me.

Advertisements