Saturday dawned like most late March Saturday s dawn: with thunder and some rain.  In fact it had been raining for a large part of the post-midnight period.  But at around 8:00 am, things got weird.  It started snowing.

And I’m not talking about a flurry here; I mean huge flakes the size of ping pong balls and lots of them.  They fell onto the green grass that needed mowing and melted at first but there were so many of them that I could not see across the street.  At that rate they began to accumulate pretty quickly and this continued for most of the day.  At the end, we had several inches and our area was on the fringe of this band of freaky weather.  North and west of here they had FEET of snow. 

Usually it melts on the pavement when the soil temperature is above freezing but it fell so strongly that it actually built up a layer on the streets – kind of on top of a layer of water and so it became slippery.  Or so I heard; I saw no reason to leave the house.  We were low on groceries since we usually shop on Saturday but we weren’t that low.  We had enough provisions to make cookies.  I had purchased a new coffee maker from my friend’s shop and so I had that to try out.  We were good and there’s nothing I love more than a good strong reason to stay inside and read and do intellectual stuff all day long. 

So we did.

Yesterday, the temperature soared into the 50’s and so as I went to walk the dog I had the privilege of seeing this strange landscape of snow covered lawns and people in the shirtsleeves walking their dogs.  It was all melting so fast that there was the rushing sound of water everywhere along the streets just like the sound after a torrential downpour but instead of gray skies and rumbling thunder, there was a deep blue sky and bright sunshine.   The bright sun reflecting off the snow was almost too much to bear since I had not thought to get my sunglasses.  It was pretty unusual and I’m glad I got to experience it.  That probably won’t happen again for a long time.