I can never think of anything more creative to call these summaries that cover so much ground.  Perhaps I should just create a category.

This was the weekend of lateness.  Everything ran late.  Friday night’s football game started out our weekend.  Basically, I drove into the garage, switched cars, and headed out again to drop Erin off at the play where she is pushing props between acts.  Then to the game.  It was getting chilly with temps in the 50s.  When you add in a light wind and factor in the fact that you’re sitting motionless in this weather, you can get pretty cold so I bundled up in preparation.  We have one advantage in that we paid another $15 this year to get season tickets in the center section where the seats are actually plastic and have backs.  Nice tough when you’re pushing age 47.

The Pride was using halftime as a dress rehearsal for a contest to occur on Saturday and so they pulled out all the stops.  It was most impressive but I can’t seem to photograph it or video it.  A marching band performance has such a wide scope and such a huge dynamic range of sound that nothing seems to really capture it.  Perhaps if we had a kickin’ sound recording system and about five cameras and a professional cinematographer to edit it all down you could get a feel for it.

The first quarter was notable for the fact that Broken Arrow ran the ball every time and the first series took up the entire first quarter except for 45 seconds.  That’s extraordinary in my book.  They converted a number of fourth downs when added to the impressivness.

We left at halftime.  It was too cold and the game wasn’t that interesting.  We were early to pick up Erin so we stopped at a newly-opened coffee shop.  For a coffee snob like I’ve become, they weren’t so great (too many sweet things masquerading as cappuchino) but they did have live music.  Mel and I were the oldest creatures in the joint by far except for the owner and so felt a bit out of place.

Evan rolled in about 11:00 and had to be back at the school to leave for the contest at 7:15.  For a teenager, that’s pretty tough.  This was the Oklahoma Band Association contest and they once again, took it all.  But it ran long and they didn’t actually get back into town until 3:00 AM!  Mel was getting pretty worried at that point.  We had taken his cell phone away for an earlier infraction and so screwed ourselves out of the obvious value of having a cell phone:  knowing where he was.  But he finally rolled into the house at around 3:30.  Needless to say, we all slept in.  Erin had done the play again and so had been out till 11:00 or so.

I forgot that Erin had a sleepover Friday night with her church small group and so had had even less sleep than usual.  We had to hurry to pick her up from that in order to get her to a play rehearsal at 12:30.  This is one at the middle school that she has a part in.

So it was pretty busy.  The extra hour of sleep, while welcome, was not nearly enough.