Written January 30:

Well, I almost finished this one up this weekend.  I only lack the
false fronts on the drawers and a bit of polyurethane.  It was a
learning experience.

I’m annoyed by several things.  First, even though I bought
full-extension drawer slides, due to a design issue, they don’t
actually extend any further than conventional drawers.  But at least
they roll smoothly and that’s worth something.

Second, something is not quite square.  I measure carefully but even
so, the drawers are not quite flush with the surface of the cabinet.  I
can’t figure this out.  Perhaps the drawers are not quite square which
is possible even though I used clamps that are supposed to hold things
square.  They aren’t perfect and I only had two and each drawer has
four corners so there may be something there.  Still, the drawers look
like they’re in there crooked even though each side is parallel with
the cabinet side.

But, this is typical woodworker nitpicking.  It works well and I
intend to populate it with tools immediately.  Photos to come later
after I get the drawer fronts on.

Lessons learned: 

  1. dovetails are not meant for plywood.  I must either use real wood drawer sides or find another joint type. 
  2. keeping a cabinet and all drawers square is more work than I thought it would be. 
  3. Using a dovetail jig is faster than doing it by hand but when you
    time it from the moment you decide to start until the moment you
    install the drawer, it isn’t as much of a time savings as you think. 
    It’s probably not even half.
  4. And even though you’d think that a machine-cut joint would be much
    superior, in this case, my hand-cut ones actually look better.  This is
    due to the plywood veneer splitting off when the router bit hits it.
  5. Hardware like full-extension drawer slides and drawer-pulls are the biggest part of the expense. 
Advertisements